2017 Call for Artists
The PASEO, a nighttime art festival now in its fourth year, is seeking multimedia installation, performance, and projection art proposals for the 2017 festival which will fill the streets of the Taos Historic District. Occurring in collaboration with Taos Fall Arts Festival, The PASEO creates a platform for temporary and participatory public art. We provide stipends to cover travel and artist fees. The deadline for submissions is April 30th 2017.
Submissions are currently be accepted through CaFE and can be found here.
The PASEO 2017 Criteria:
Festival Dates: September 22 and 23, 2017
Pre-Festival Youth Workshops: September 15-21, 2017 (learn more here)
The PASEO is seeking installations, projection, and/or performance art that can be installed, projected and/or performed outdoors for this two-day nighttime art festival located in the Taos Downtown Historic District.
- The PASEO is seeking work that is immersive, site-responsive, participatory, and/or will make a dynamic impact within the Taos Historic District during this evening festival, PASEO 2016 brought 8,000 people to the streets of Taos to experience this annual celebration of the Taos Arts Festival.
- Art must be designed for nighttime viewing only.
- Artists must be on site during the festival (typically 5 hours each night).
- As part of the application process new media artists are invited to submit proposals to the STEMarts Lab@The PASEO Youth Program, an innovative educational program that brings Paseo artists into every middle and high school in Taos County. Artists have the opportunity to share the sci-art process of art making with the students who then perform/install at the event.
- With this call, artists have the opportunity not only to be invited to present at PASEO 2017, but become eligible for invitation to opportunities for additional year-round events and collaborations.
- Submissions must be of fully executed projects. No concept proposals.
- All work must be original and created by or under direction of the artists(s).
- Collaborations are welcome.
- Artwork must match type & quality submitted for jurying.
- Artists are responsible for installing their own work. The Paseo team provides volunteers to assist.
The PASEO is an award winning festival and attracts audiences from all over the Western US and beyond. We heavily promote and market our artists by coordinating: radio interviews, artists videos, museum talks, online and social media promotion, newsletter, and regional and national ad campaigns. PASEO 2016 advertised in Hyberallergic and Colossal. Participating artists are featured in the Festival Guide and website.
Now for the fine print. By sending your information you agree to the following…
2017 Legal Agreement and Participation Liability Waiver By submitting this online application for The PASEO, the participant agrees to the terms and conditions of this participation liability waiver.
I the Artist as participant am at least 18 years old. If Artist is younger than 18, Artist must have guardian or parent consent and in lieu of participating in event, said guardian or parent agrees to waive all rights to sue hereunder after Artist reaches the age of 18.
Artist is aware that The PASEO Project, its board, advisors and any other supporting associations, volunteers and sponsors (“Event Coordinators”), do not insure or agree to be responsible for any theft, damage, or loss of any article. Artist agrees to accept any and all loss, theft, or damage resulting directly or indirectly from registrant’s participation in these events.
In return for the benefits provided by The PASEO, Artist agrees both not to sue or to hold the Event Coordinators liable or responsible for any loss, theft, or damage connected with artists participation in the event.
Artist understands that this release is intended to protect Event Coordinators as defined in this Waiver from any claim of negligence and agrees to indemnify Event Coordinators for any defense costs, if such costs should occur.
Artist agrees that this Waiver is a legally binding contract between Event Coordinators and Artist, is binding on Artist, Artist’s heirs, or anyone making a claim.
I have carefully read this agreement and fully understand its content. I sign this Waiver of my own free will.
I give The PASEO and its business sponsors for the Event permission to use images I have provided or taken during the event for promotional purposes.
By submitting an application for The PASEO I warrant that I am of legal age and that I have read and fully understand the foregoing terms of participation outlined in this The PASEO application.
RAIN POLICY: In the event that it should rain, management will make every reasonable effort to proceed with the event. If, due to inclement weather the festival grounds are deemed unsafe for staff, artists and/or festival patrons, we reserve the right to cancel the event at its sole discretion.
RULES OF CONDUCT: All artists are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, according to the rules of this agreement. Any unruly conduct, refusal to follow rules or damage to property will be considered grounds for expulsion from the artist and risk loss of final payment. Artist is fully responsible for any damage to Town or Private property.
All participants are responsible for their own replacement, comprehensive and liability insurance. Applicants must obey all pertinent safety codes, laws, including but not limited to, fire, safety and parking regulations.